Sunday, August 27, 2017

Water Dreams

Once in a while, I dream that I am somewhere out in the country with my sister or a friend and we are both in some sort of pond, or swimming hole, and I am about as happy as I've ever been or will be. I don't know what it is about water, or why I crave it so much--I just know I do.

It's not only lakes I crave--hotel pools hold a special place in my heart too, and I've rarely ever met one I didn't like. So on this last Sunday in August, I thought I'd write a little about the hold water has on me and how I'm always chasing it--winter, summer, fall and spring.

My first experience with lakes was at a day camp, and I've probably been hooked ever since. I loved swimming as a child, but the truth is I was never very good at it. I've managed to have a serviceable crawl and backstroke, as well as a decent breaststroke--but sidestroke is my go-to position, mostly because I'm lazy.

There is something about water, wherever I find it, that lifts my heart and spirits when nothing else will--except maybe mountains, and if you put both together I'd like never to leave. So why have I lived most of my life in the city?

Playwriting, I would say, requires it--but I have no regrets about that. It's just that if you want to be in theater, you need to be in a city that respects theater, and I'm very proud to say I do. At the same time, I do think about what it would take to be out of the city, at least summers, and for more than a week or two at a time.

Haven't found the solution, yet, but I will. 

Sharing a couple of pictures of Wisconsin here because they remind me of the Simon and Garfunkle song America. At least that's what's been running through my head all weekend as my husband and I drove through LaCrosse and Pepin.

Reaching through a dream to the water... and back again.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.